Friday, October 31, 2008

Part 2: Five Star Arugula Salad (Healthy!)

Whenever I'm making a fancy-pants dinner, and I need a light green, this is my go-to salad. Even if you don't like arugula normally, I encourage you to give this a shot. This is an elegant salad, full of wonderful flavors that balance eachother perfectly. I'd love to give you a quirky story about this salad, but the short-winded truth is that I just love every part of it. It is so fresh tasting and refreshing... one of those salads you just feel good about eating.

Arugula Salad

1/2 package Baby Arugula (I like Olivia's Organics).
10 large Fresh Basil Leaves
1/2 Red Onion, finely sliced and chopped
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
1/2 cup Parmesan Shavings
Salt and Pepper to taste

1) Drizzle half the olive oil in the bottom of your salad bowl.
2) Chop the onion and add that to the bottom of the bowl.
3) Add the arugula and basil.
4) Combine the remaining olive oil and lemon juice, toss in the salad.
5) Use a vegetable peeler to make shavings of parmesan, sprinkle over top of salad.
6) Add salt and pepper to taste, and slightly toss.

Notes:
- It's okay if you cant get your hands on a fresh bunch of basil, it will taste fine without it. Just don't replace it with flakes... it's not the same, I don't care what your aunt Esther says.

- Parmesan is a vital part of this salad, but times are tough and I don't want you putting yourself over for a block of parm. Use crumbled parmesan or the pre-grated stuff.

No comments: