Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are the world's favorite comfort food. They're good for sick days, snow days, holidays, bad days, and every-days.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from my mom was this: Bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies when moving in to a new place. It will instantly make your new digs smell like home!

With more chocolate chip recipes out there than you can imagine, it's hard to find one you can trust. The root of this cookie is the recipe that my mom has been making for as long as I have been alive (at least). Over the years it has evolved, step by step. Last week I made one final alteration to bring you the recipe below.

I am honored to present you with...

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 cups Ground Oatmeal
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Salted Butter, Softened
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Banana, pureed
1 Egg
2 cups Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350*f.

1) Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl.
2) In a large bowl bowl, beat together butter, vanilla, egg, and banana.
3) Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat on low until combined.
4) Stir in ground oatmeal with a spoon. The mixture should be thick and somewhat coarse.
5) Stir in chocolate chips.

6) On a baking sheet, use teaspoons to spoon dough into little balls on the cookie sheet. Because of the butter the cookies spread, so make sure they have a little room to grow. Make them as evenly sized as possible to keep from burning.

7) Bake at 350*f for about 10 minutes, until edges start to brown. Let cool on the sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.




These cookies are great! The oatmeal makes them taste nutty, the banana gives them something special. They have a quintessential home-made taste and are guaranteed to brighten any day! Especially a cold day.

Need convincing?

I told my friend Mark that I was making chocolate chip cookies at work. His reply was "I don't really like cookies." I know, it's crazy. I assured him he'd like my cookies, but I wanted his honest opinion.

I sent him a couple and received a phone call within minutes to tell me how much he enjoyed them. He even called back later to say, "Jenny, I'm not pulling your leg, these are really good cookies."

But don't take my word for it, try them for yourself! Hopefully it'll be a chocolate chip recipe you'll use for years to come!

No comments: