Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spin-Art Rangoons

I don't think that I'm alone when I say that I could probably live off of spinach-artichoke dip. It never ceases to amaze me that the two foods that freaked me out the most in my childhood now comprise one of my favorite appetizers.

Now I've made spinach-artichoke dip many a time, always with the same end result: A delicious treat that is never cute to eat. A natural-born slob, it usually ends up falling off the chip and in to my lap. I love having meaty chunks of artichoke in my dip, but alas this makes smoothe dipping a near impossibility.

Last time I was in the food store, a solution came to me like a vision. Wanton wraps. These "rangoons" of sort are the perfect way to serve this great dip. The wrap gets golden and crispy, the dip gets hot and melty, and your lap stays clean. This treat also steps up your hors d'oeuvre repertoire. Lastly but definitely not least(ly?), they very simple to make.

They look pretty, taste great, and don't require a fork. What more could you want?

Spinach Artichoke Rangoons

1 bag Baby Spinach, chopped
1 can Artichoke Hearts (in water), chopped
2 tblsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 cup Cream Cheese
1 package Wanton Wrappers (can be found in the organic/vegetarian section)
1 small bowl of Water
1/4 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil (for frying)

1) In a large skillet, over medium heat: heat olive oil and minced garlic until the garlic becomes fragrant and begins to crisp.

2) Add spinach and saute. The spinach will reduce (a lot). After it wilts, add the artichoke hearts. Cook until they are soft.

3) Transfer spinach and artichokes to a medium bowl. Add ricotta, Parmesan, and cream cheese. Mix thoroughly, let cool to room temperature.

Now for the fun part.

4) Take one wanton and lay it flat on your surface. With the water, wet the edges of the wanton.

5) Spoon a tablespoon of the dip in to the center of the wanton.

6) Lay a second wanton over the dip and seal the edges.

Repeat these steps until all of your rangoons are prepped.

7) Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough (I test by spritzing water in it and seeing if it spits), add the rangoons. Fry until golden brown on each side, let drain on a paper towel.



(My apologies for the photo quality. This was a very spontaneous project and I only had my phone on hand)

These little treats are so warm , cheesy, creamy, and crispy; a textural experience for your mouth. They are so flavorful and the filling goes a long way. I'm sure I'll be busting these out at parties for years to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum. Any excuse for putting artichoke hearts and cheese together is awesome. I have a feeling the folks attending my sister's upcoming wedding shower are gonna LOVE these. Thanks for the great idea!