Thursday, April 2, 2009

Crispy Broiled Chicken

For as long as I can remember, baked/broiled chicken has been one of my favorites. It was not, and is not, uncommon to see my mom, my two sisters, and I, fighting over which piece had the crispiest skin with the most seasoning.

Well, I'm In all of my glory because Jim thinks the skin is gross. Know what that means? I get all the crispy pieces I want!

This is one of my favorite ways to eat chicken, it cooks slowly on the bone so it stays nice and moist. Then, for the last 15-20 minutes you pop it to broil to crisp it up. Who says you can't have the best of both worlds?

Broiled Chicken
1 Whole Chicken - Skin On, separated in to breasts, wings, legs, and thighs
**You can also purchase the pieces separately.
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 large Garlic Cloves
2 tsp Rosemary
2 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325 Degrees

1) On a baking sheet arrange the chicken in to an even layer, skin side up.

2) In a food processor, combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Pulse a few times to mix.

3) With a pastry brush, brush a generous layer of oil and spices on to each piece of chicken. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper, salt, and cracked black pepper.

4) Cover loosely with tin foil. Bake in oven, covered, for 20 minutes.

5) After 20 minutes, remove foil. Turn heat in oven up to 375 Degrees, and bake for about 10 minutes more minutes, until the skin begins to look golden-brown.

6) Once the chicken begins to brown and crisp, switch the oven to Broil on High. You won't need to move the rack. The real purpose here is just to make that skin nice and crispy, and seal in the juices. Watch carefully to make sure that it doesn't burn!

7) Once you're nice and crispy, pull the chicken out and let it settle for a few minutes before serving.




Bon Appetite! This chicken is so flavorful and savory. It's makes a great dinner, and is relatively inexpensive to make. It also makes for great chicken sandwiches the next day. I served mine with a wonderful salad and wild mushroom risotto. It would also go great with some sauteed vegetables and wild rice... the possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do mine almost the same way--it's spectacular! :D