Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Frittata: TAKE 2

The beauty of cooking is that its one of those "lifetime learning" type skills. You're always picking up new things, new flavor combinations, new techniques, discovering new ingredients, or thinking of new ways to use old ingredients.

I also love cooking for other people. I don't know why, but when I'm cooking for only myself, the food just doesn't taste as good. I need someone to share with. I've always said that the frittata is one of the best meals ever. Its compact, easy to throw together, generally impressive, and you can put anything in it. I wanted to share my frittata with my friend Laura and her hubby.

Then I thought about the complications inherent in sharing something generally pie-shaped. Ok, so I'd take my slice... Then what? Hand her over a half-eaten frittata? Enjoy? I'm sure I'd not be asked to do her any more favors.

Solution? Mini Frittatas. Holy cow, you could even individualize them. Well, I wasn't going to go that far, but here is an update on the frittata recipe, and how to make them share-able, without busting your bank on some excessive and unnecessary frittata pan.

Mini-Frittata with Veggies and Smoked Provolone
6 Eggs
1/3 cup Milk
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Fresh Oregano, chopped
2 Orange Tomatoes
1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
2 cups Smoked Provolone Cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper
1 pat of butter (to grease the pan)

*Preheat the oven to 4oo-degrees
1) In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until slightly frothy.

2) Grease a muffin tin using the butter (you can use a spray if you prefer). Place a few leaves of oregano and a thin section of tomato in the bottom of each cup.

3) In a large bowl, stir together all of the chopped vegetables, provolone cheese, remaining oregano, and the egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add a dash of salt and a few cranks of pepper depending on your taste.

4) Spoon the mixture in to the cups until they are 2/3 full. Bake at 400-degrees until the egg is golden brown. When they are cool enough to touch, let them finish cooling atop a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture that may have been released from the vegetables.

And there ya go! Breakfast (or Lunch!) (or Dinner!)! I was able to pack these up in a tupperware for Laura; perfect, little, single serving frittatas. The smokey provolone cheese really gave them something special, and I'm thinking smoked cheeses will probably work their way in to more recipes. Success! Frittatas for everybody!

P.S. I followed up with Laura to see how they went over. She and Phil were both big fans of the mini-frittata. Well, there's more where that came from!

No comments: